After months of negotiating, we can announce that we have reached a tentative agreement on a contract! Your bargaining team recommends this contract for ratification.
Summary of 2018 Tentative Agreement
New Step system:
Upon ratification of the new agreement, Kindred will implement a new wage scale with a base wage of $29.00 (current is $28.21) and a top Step 31 of $55.43 (current is $54.67). The new scale will guarantee a 2% step adjustment every year until you reach Step 31. Upon ratification, nurses will move to the step that is above and closest to your current wage.
The bargaining team fought long and hard to win the best possible wage increases. While the raises negotiated into this contract leave Northgate nurses behind the wage market, the bargaining team believes that the increases represent the best possible outcome in light of the hospital’s current economic circumstances.
- Aug. 25, 2018 – 0.75%
- Aug. 25, 2019 – 1.25%
- Aug. 25, 2020 – 1.0%
Nurses will receive these raises on your anniversary when you move receive your Step increase.
Upon ratification of the contract, nurses will receive the following one-time bonus:
- Full time nurse – $400
- Part time nurse – $200
- Per diem nurse – $100
The hospital has agreed to recognize the important voice of Northgate RNs in determining the appropriate staffing at the hospital. As a result, the hospital in compliance with Washington state law, will form a Staffing Committee comprised of 50 percent WSNA nurses to determine the appropriate staffing plan for the hospital and to resolve the complaint of any nurse regarding hospital staffing. Nurses who serve on the Staffing Committee will do so on paid work time. The hospital will not counsel, discipline or discriminate against any nurse who makes a complaint to the Staffing Committee regarding hospital staffing.
Other contract improvements:
- Increase of Temporary Assignment Premium from $2.50/hour to $2.60/hour.
- Improvement in discipline language – Disciplines cannot be used against an employee after 12 months of no reoccurrence and final warnings cannot be used against an employee after 24 months of no reoccurrence.
- Language to help Northgate nurses strengthen your union at Northgate – Dedicated time for new employee orientation and updated language regarding the roster information provided by the hospital to the union.
- Language allowing your WSNS nurse representative to attend meetings of the Conference Committee.
- The hospital may present employees with gifts (e.g. Holiday Turkeys, years of service awards) without creating a binding past practice.
- The hospital may offer bonuses to employees so long as the bonuses are fair and equitable and the hospital does not engage in favoritism.
- The employee handbook will be incorporated into the contract.
- A nurse who is low censused out of turn will move to the end of the low census rotation.
Take backs avoided:
The hospital aggressively sought significant take backs from the benefits currently held by Northgate nurses. The hospital continued to push for many of the take backs up to the last day of negotiations. Because of the efforts of your bargaining team, the following changes will not occur:
- The hospital attempted to eliminate overtime for work after an employee’s shift.
- The hospital attempted to reduce the number of paid holidays from eight (8) to six (6).
- The hospital attempted to remove pay in lieu of benefits from the last two (2) employees who remain eligible for this benefit.
Your bargaining team listened to your concerns and interests. We worked hard to represent your needs to the hospital at the bargaining table. We recommend that members vote to ratify this contract and we hope that you will join us as we organize ourselves to work with the new ownership of the hospital to make Northgate Hospital a healthcare facility that best meets the needs of our patients, our community and ourselves.