Date / Time
Nov 30, 2021, 8:00am–10:00am Save to your calendar (.ics file)
Nurses at the bedside know that staffing levels have reached crisis levels due to burnout, moral injury and hospitals’ failure to take action to retain nurses. But even before the pandemic, so many of us were stretched to the limit, forced to take too many patients and work long shifts without a break.
We need more than a quick fix – we need action to ensure safe staffing now and in the future. #
The Cabinet on Economic and General Welfare invites you to join your fellow union nurses across Washington state for WSNA Nurses Unite for Safe Staffing! This free event will be held virtually on Tuesday, Nov. 30, 8 – 10 a.m.
At this event you will: #
- Learn about WSNA’s efforts in coalition with other health care unions to create accountability with enforceable laws and staffing standards every hospital must meet.
- Find out how you can take action to achieve safe staffing on every unit, in every hospital in Washington state and ensure that hospitals take every available measure to ensure our communities receive the care they deserve.
- Hear from state and national labor leaders about how they are standing behind Washington nurses in our fight for safe staffing.
Featured speakers #
- Randi Weingarten, American Federation of Teachers (AFT) president, will discuss national labor support for safe staffing.
- Larry Brown, Washington State Labor Council president, will share how unions in Washington are working together to win safe staffing.
- April Sims, Washington State Labor Council secretary treasurer, will discuss safe staffing through an equity lens.
- David Keepnews, executive director of WSNA, will share research supporting safe staffing and how nurses can leverage it into meaningful action.
- Julia Barcott, chair of WSNA’s Cabinet on Economic and General Welfare, will share WSNA efforts to protect and advocate for our nurses on the frontlines.
When and where #
Tuesday, Nov. 30, 8 — 10 a.m.
This is a virtual, online event.
Cost and registration #
This is a free event for WSNA union members.
Download flyer #
- WSNA nurses unite for safe staffing! (pdf; 1.4 MB)