David Keeepnews (left) and Duncan Camacho (right)
WSNA, along with SEIU 199NW and UFCW 3000, has named members to the advisory committee that will oversee many elements of the 2023 safe staffing law implementation.
Representing WSNA will be:
- Duncan Camacho, PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center
Alternate: Dawn Marick, PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center.
- David Keepnews, WSNA executive director;
Alternate: Barb Friesen, WSNA lead nurse representative.
WSNA worked with the other two unions to ensure geographic diversity. The advisory committee on hospital staffing will start by advising DOH on its development of the uniform hospital staffing plan form.
Following steps include:
- September 1, 2023 — The date by which the advisory committee must be established.
- January 1, 2024 — New hospital committees formed (now must include CNAs).
- March 1, 2024 — Recommended uniform reporting form completed by advisory committee.
- July 1, 2024 — New committee charter required to be filed with DOH.
- October 1, 2024 — Hospital must adopt written policies and procedures to document noncompliance with staffing plans.
- January 1, 2025 — Staffing plan under new law due to DOH.
- July 1, 2025 — Hospitals required to implement staffing plan under the new law.