Partner with the Bloodworks NW collection team during high school blood drives to provide post-donation care that is patient focused. You will be responsible for following established protocols if a blood donor is experiencing an adverse reaction.
By creating a positive donation experience and educating donors on the importance of maintaining a regular donation schedule, you will help meet a critical need in our community for maintaining a stable blood supply.
Each time a student gives blood (16 and older) they have the opportunity to save three lives with one unit of blood! Our mission of saving lives is only done with the extraordinary generosity of donors and volunteers.
Bloodworks NW is hoping to expand the program in the following counties: Snohomish, King, Skagit, Mason, Thurston, Lewis, Grays Harbor and Pierce.
2-3 shifts per month covered in each area is typically needed. All of these take place at high schools and colleges.
- Follow standard operating procedures on donor monitoring and reaction care
- Provide preventative and countermeasures to reduce the severity of a vasovagal reaction
- During reaction care provide a patient-focused experience
- Educate donors on effective donation preparation
- Serve as a liaison between Bloodworks NW and our high school partners
- Advocate for future blood donations
- Experience taking blood pressure
- Excellent customer service and communication skills
- Ability to record accurate information by hand
- Positively engage with donors, staff and other volunteers
- Dependable and communicative on scheduling
- Attention to detail and accuracy are essential
- Utilize email to complete training links and communicate progress
- A completed background check is required for this position
- Physical requirement: ability lift 60 lbs to safely assist a donor
Commitment / Locations:
- Six-month commitment
- Flexible days and times are available, depending on current openings and needs in your region
Attend Orientation and Complete Training:
- Donor Monitor Training
- Reaction Care Training
- Compliance Training
- Annual training
- Blood Borne Pathogens
- Catch and Slide technique
- Harassment prevention
- Hazardous material
- Access to Bloodworks NW professional development and hours can be used towards licensing hours.