Donate water filters for families in Puerto Rico in need of safe water.
In collaboration with Operation Blessing, AFSCME, the Hispanic Federation and the Asociación de Maestros de Puerto Rico, the AFT launched this operation to provide purifiers to the people in Puerto Rico whose island has been devastated by Hurricane Maria and left without safe water.
Puerto Rico is facing a humanitarian crisis. More than a million people still lack running water—they are forced to find water in contaminated streams, collect it from runoff and even drink from toxic Superfund sites. For those with running water, tap water may be tainted with raw sewage because water treatment plants are still not operational.
But we—YOU—can help alleviate human suffering. Through AFT’s Operation Agua, you can help send water purification systems to Puerto Rican families and communities who are crying out for help.
To help groups raise money, AFT launched the Operation Agua Every Drop Challenge. When a team signs up for the challenge, a full toolkit will be provided. Each group will receive:
- A unique online fundraising page to collect donations and track their impact;
- A toolkit with fundraising ideas;
- AFT social media support and recognition for their campaign;
- An opportunity to be featured on the H20 Heroes section of the Operation Agua website;
- Help promoting their campaign to local press (if desired); and
- Updates to show the impact of their fundraising on the ground in Puerto Rico.